Saturday, April 30, 2011

milk alternative taste test

A friend came over yesterday and mentioned she liked Almond Milk. I wasn't so sure, but I had Almond Milk in my refrigerator left over from Easter. My mom brought the rest of the container that she had used to make my portion of our traditional Easter potatoes. Our tradition is actually a recipe from Rivoli's Restuarant that contains heavy cream and creme fraiche. Almond Milk made for a very gray, non-creamy substitute.

So I was interested to find out if I liked the stuff all on it's own.  We also had Hemp Drink, Rice Drink - Original, and Rice Drink - Vanilla in our refrigerator. I had tried them all in tea or cereal, but I had never tried them on their own. 

My husband created a blind taste test for me, marking what was what on the bottom of the cup. It didn't really matter though, I could tell just by looking at the Hemp and Almond Milks and the Original and Vanilla Rice Milks were quickly distinguished in the first sip.

I found the Hemp Drink to be thick, but sweet.

The Almond Milk was as expected. Nutty.

The Vanilla Rice Drink tasted like vanilla flavoring.

The Original Rice Drink was surprising. It actually tasted good. Kind of like milk. Nice!

3 comments:

  1. Do you like coconut milk at all? I didn't mind it, but my husband didn't really like it. Since we don't want to make our meals separately, we have agreed to use almond milk.
    If you like chocolate milk. Silk makes a dark chocolate almond milk that is really good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like it in stuff for sure, but I've never tried it on it's own. Except coconut water straight from the coconut. I wasn't really a fan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This gives me the guts to try it in my cereal. I've been using Almond milk for cooking with, but can't seem to make myself try it by itself, and I'm just as nervous about putting it in cereal. I really miss my cereal, so I really need to just break down and try it!

    ReplyDelete