Tuesday, May 3, 2011

dinner in under 5 minutes & dairy alternative review


Dinner in under 5 minutes. I’m hungry, but baby is hungry too. Guess I’d better get something quick.
Amy’s Mexican Tamale Pie
Decent, sauce tastes like tomatoey cilantro infused pasta sauce. Would be better with a glass of whole milk. Or cheese. But I am nursing so I can’t get to the kitchen to try any of the alternatives.  Fritos would be a nice accompaniment. Bonus: I can eat one (left!) handed so I can hold Nelle at the same time. 
---
I had written this before trying the milk or cheese alternatives. 

The Daiya Cheddar tastes kind of like ballpark nacho sauce in shredded form. If that's what you're going for the WayFare Cheddar Sauce is more like it. It's made from oatmeal. Interesting. I will likely buy the Daiya again, but next time I'm thinking I'll try the Mozzarella to make pizza.  The Galaxy Nutritional Foods Rice Vegan American Flavor Slices didn't melt very well or have much flavor so I will probably just use the Daiya for grilled sandwiches, but I did notice on their website that they have cheese blocks so that might be interesting to try out. 

And to round out the taste test of the dairy substitutes:
So Delicious Coconut Milk Yogurt, Plain – tasted actually like really gelatinous coconut yogurt... hmm... but okay when I put it in my cereal.
Earth Balance Natural Buttery Spread Soy Free – My mom, a butter addict, agrees that it’s actually pretty good.

By the way, these sites all have recipes. Let me know if anything you make turns out tasty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment