Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Eating Out

--I've been twice to Mediterranean restaurants and asked for the veggie plate without cheeses or yogurts. The one I went to on Monday even had the items listed as "vegan". I'm hoping they were.

--I've also been twice to Indian restaurants. One of the places was vegan and at the other I asked for suggestions on dishes without paneer, yogurt, or ghee. I was told I couldn't have the naan, but I could eat the roti.

--I've been to Mexican restaurants and ordered bean, rice, salsa only burritos a few times. If I liked avocado I'd probably get that too. Be careful though, Taco Bell is not dairy or soy free. Nor is it really Mexican food...

--I've ordered pizza. My husband called in advance to the restaurant we went to for my mother-in-law's birthday. He asked for the ingredients in the crust and sauce. We double checked at the restaurant.

--I went to multiple parties this Memorial Day weekend. I ate: grilled portobello mushrooms, chips & salsa, a black bean/corn/salsa dip, Sunshine veggie burgers on a farmer roll, deviled eggs, fresh fruits & veggies, coleslaw.

I let my friends know in advance and I bring back up snacks. At a bridal shower I went to I brought cookies for me so I wouldn't miss out when everyone else was eating cake.

I also let restaurant servers know my situation. I've even had the clerks at the Target food court get boxes for me to check out the ingredients list (Ugh, soy!). So far I've gotten positive feedback. Maybe it's because I'm nice about it. Maybe it's because I have a cute baby with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment