Saturday, June 4, 2011

wintery day treat

It's June, but it's rainy, windy, and cold here and feeling like a sleepy day. Nelle's been down for some pretty good naps today so while I've had plenty of opportunity to get stuff done, I've been feeling like enjoying the laziness instead.

A perfect day for hot cocoa.

One thing about rice milk, though, is that it doesn't provide the thickness that whole milk does for hot cocoa. And the non-dairy Ah!laska mix, while better than nothing, is more like a cheap mix-with-water hot chocolate packet than the more quality chocolates that I'm used to.

When I made the chocolate chip cookies the other day I looked up the Tollhouse recipe online to modify. A few of the suggestions said to add a packet of instant vanilla pudding to make them soft. I hadn't really thought about using pudding mix for anything but making pudding before. But from previous research I knew the stuff to be vegan and I happened to have some cook&serve variety on hand.

I heated up the rice milk and added 3 heaping spoon fulls of the cocoa powder and then added another spoon full of pudding mix. Now for the topping. As a vegetarian I avoid gelatin, one of the base ingredients of marshmallows, but thankfully marshmallow fluff does not contain gelatin.

Yum! It was thick and creamy and delicious, just like hot chocolate is supposed to be. Take that milk/soy free diet doubting self!

1 comment:

  1. If you don't like marshmallow fluff you can try MimicCreme Healthy Top whipping cream. It's a great accompaniment to angel food cake and strawberries.
    http://www.mimiccreme.com/healthy.html

    ReplyDelete